Sandy Spring Friends School


Learning Resource Collaborative FAQs

What is the Learning Resource Collaborative?

The Learning Resource Collaborative (LRC) is a partnership of professionals at Sandy Spring Friends School committed to the competency, success, and joy of all learners in the SSFS community. It is a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary student support system that serves as an expanded program for supporting student learning in both the day and residential programs to empower students for college and beyond. The LRC is comprised of five cross-divisional Learning Specialists.

What are the student supports and services provided by SSFS?

Depending on your child’s division, SSFS provides small class sizes, academic help and tutorial times built into the daily academic schedule, advisory groups, licensed counselors in each division and in the dorm, learning specialists in each division, peer writing center, in-class accommodations, support for standardized testing accommodations, and multifaceted, individualized college counseling support.

What additional resources are provided by the Learning Resource Collaborative?

The Learning Resource Collaborative provides the following core services to all SSFS students and their families:

  • Consultation with parents, students, teachers, and outside professionals about learning needs
  • Assistance with the identification of learning differences
  • Development of strategies with students to help them adapt to their learning styles
  • Referrals to outside resources (tutors, speech and language therapists, psycho/educational testing services, etc.) as needed
  • Support for teachers for implementing recommendations and accommodations
  • Ongoing faculty/student workshops and training on how students learn and study

If my child is not doing well in a specific subject area, to whom should I reach out?

Regardless of division, it is always best to start with your child’s teacher or advisor (middle/upper school). They will share their observations with you and help you decide whether or not to call/email the Learning Specialist. 
Contact information for each division’s Learning Specialist is listed below.

My child has a 504/IEP plan or a new evaluation that lists accommodations. What do I do now?

Please contact the Learning Specialist to determine which accommodations are routinely provided at SSFS. The Learning Specialist will most likely want to meet with you about the information and discuss setting up an Accommodation Plan (Upper School) or Learning Profile (Lower and Middle School) to make sure your child’s needs are met during the school day.