How to Apply for International Students
An application must be completed and submitted online. We will accept applications via SAO, but we prefer that applicants use Ravenna for their online application. Once you create a Ravenna account, select the “Washington, DC” area from the dashboard and click on Sandy Spring Friends School. This will give you access to our online application as well as any required documents and forms. You will also be able to track the status of your application. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
We encourage applications to be submitted in the fall. Applications submitted after January 1 will be considered on a space-available basis.
- STEP 2: Complete Application Forms
Applicants using Ravenna will be able to download forms, upload completed forms, and confirm receipt of online teacher recommendation forms, school requests, and other documents needed to complete your online application.
If applying online via SAO, please download PDFs of all required application forms here. Complete all forms and arrange to have your child’s complete school records and the teacher recommendation form(s) sent directly to the Admission Office (Fax: 301.576.8664).
- STEP 3: Review Testing Requirements
International students are required to submit one of the following exams as part of the application process:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): To register for TOEFL, visit their website at www.ets.org/toefl and register online. Our school code is 7529. We recommend a score of 70 or higher.
- TOEFL Jr. Comprehensive (for students who are 11-15 years old): To register for TOEFL, visit their website at www.ets.org/toefl and register online. Our school code is 7529. We recommend a score on the comprehensive exam of:
250-275 language form & meaning
- SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test): Visit their website and register online or call SSAT at (609) 683-4440 to request a Student Registration Guide. The school code number for Sandy Spring Friends School is 7090.
- STEP 4: Request an Interview
All applicants are required to complete an interview. Applicants unable to visit the campus may conduct their interview via Skype. Submit the interview request form and Bill Mena or Tobi Goss will contact you to set up a date and time for your interview.
Applicants from Mainland China should complete their interview with Vericant.
Additional Steps, If Accepted
Applying for a Visa
International students attend Sandy Spring Friends School on an F-1 visa. An I-20 will be issued to a student once the student has been accepted by our admissions committee and has signed the enrollment agreement.
Enrollment includes a signed contract and a deposit of 9% of tuition.International students will need to provide this I-20, all acceptance paperwork, and financial evidence that your family can pay the required tuition and fees when interviewing for your visa. The U.S. State Department provides more information about preparing for a visa interview.
We encourage you to contact the U.S. consulate to schedule a visa interview as soon as you are accepted and to make sure you have all necessary information.
Sandy Spring Friends School has two boarding options - dormitory or our host family program. While considering the boarding preference applicants indicated during the admission process, the school will place students based on their developmental needs and space availability. We inform families of their placement in May. Download our Housing Guide for more information about living on campus.