Application Process: International Students
Online Application is Available
Jan 15, 2021
MAR 5, 2021
Notification Deadline For SSFS
Applications submitted after the application deadline are considered on a space-available basis.
STEP 1: Apply Online and Submit Forms Electronically
International student applicants may apply online using either the SSFS Admissions Portal, or through SAO.
Applicants using SAO will be able to download forms directly from SAO, upload completed forms, and confirm receipt of online teacher recommendation forms, school requests, and other documents needed to complete your online application.
Applicants using the SSFS Admissions Portal must first complete an online inquiry form (starting Sept. 1) Upon submission, you will receive an email confirmation with instructions on how to confirm your SSFS Admission Portal account and begin your application. Once you have submitted your inquiry and received an email with your login/password and application instructions, you may log in and submit your application through the Admission Portal. Logging into the Application Portal will provide you with the following:
- A checklist of application requirements
- Electronic forms/form requests needed for the application process, including:
- Math teacher recommendation form
- English teacher recommendation form
- Current school records request form
- If applicable: Neuro-Psych (Behavioral Reports), 504 Plan, IEP, standardized testing reports
- Event calendar to schedule interviews and virtual visits (see Step 3)
- The ability to track the status of your application
STEP 2: Testing
International students are required to submit one of the following exams as part of the application process. Your score report should be sent directly to Sandy Spring Friends School admissions office; we require ONE of the following tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): To register for TOEFL, visit their website at www.ets.org/toefl and register online. Our school code is 7529. We recommend a score of 70 or higher.
- TOEFL Jr. Comprehensive (for students who are 11-15 years old): To register for TOEFL, visit their website at www.ets.org/toefl and register online. Our school code is 7529. We recommend a score on the comprehensive exam of:
- 250-285 listening
- 250-275 language form & meaning
- 245-275 reading
- SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) at Home: Visit their website and register online or call SSAT at (609) 683-4440 to request a Student Registration Guide. The school code number for Sandy Spring Friends School is 7090. Normally, applicants for grades 6-12 are required to take the SSAT. However, due to COVID-19 restrictions, SSAT testing will not be required for the 2021-2022 application.
- SSFS is now a Duolingo English Test partner. You can take the test from anywhere using a computer with a front end camera and microphone. No appointments are needed, and you get your results within 48 hours.
STEP 3: Schedule a School Visit and Interview
Shamika Murray will contact applicants to schedule the required student interview.
STEP 4: Track Application Status
Please log in to your SSFS Admission Portal regularly to ensure that your forms have been received and your application file is complete. Families whose applications are completed by the deadline (January 15) will be notified about acceptance on March 1, 2021. Applications are accepted year-round on a space-available basis.
Additional Step: Applying for a Visa
International students attend Sandy Spring Friends School on an F-1 visa. An I-20 will be issued to a student once the student has been accepted by our admissions committee and has signed the enrollment agreement. Enrollment includes a signed contract and a deposit of 9% of tuition. International students will need to provide this I-20, all acceptance paperwork, and financial evidence that your family can pay the required tuition and fees when interviewing for your visa. The U.S. State Department provides more information about preparing for a visa interview. We encourage you to contact the U.S. consulate to schedule a visa interview as soon as you are accepted and to make sure you have all necessary information.
Questions? We're Here to Help.
Grades 6-8 & Boarding
Thank You for Your Interest in SSFS!
The Jan. 15 priority application deadline has passed, but we are still accepting applications for all grades on a space-available basis. Similarly, financial aid applications are accepted and reviewed on a funds-available basis.
Our application for the 2021-2022 school year is available online. Please note that we have modified our admission process for this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will conduct most on-campus requirements virtually. Please feel free to contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions.
Director of Middle School and Boarding Admissions
Director of Financial Aid & Enrollment Development