Application Process: International Students
Online Application is Available
Jan 15, 2020
Priority Application Deadline
MAR 2, 2020
Notification Deadline For SSFS
Applications submitted after the priority application deadline are considered on a space-available basis.
STEP 1: Apply Online and Submit Forms Electronically
An application must be completed and submitted online. We will accept applications via SAO or Ravenna. If you choose to create a Ravenna account, select the “Washington, DC” area from the dashboard and click on Sandy Spring Friends School. This will give you access to our online application as well as any required documents and forms. You will also be able to track the status of your application. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
We encourage applications to be submitted in the fall. Applications submitted after January 1 will be considered on a space-available basis.
STEP 2: Review Application Forms
Applicants using Ravenna will be able to download forms, upload completed forms, and confirm receipt of online teacher recommendation forms, school requests, and other documents needed to complete your online application.
Applicants using SAO will be able to download forms directly from SAO, upload completed forms, and confirm receipt of online teacher recommendation forms, school requests, and other documents needed to complete your online application.
Step 3: Testing Requirements
International students are required to submit one of the following exams as part of the application process. Your score report should be sent directly to Sandy Spring Friends School admissions office; we require ONE of the follow tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): To register for TOEFL, visit their website at www.ets.org/toefl and register online. Our school code is 7529. We recommend a score of 70 or higher.
- TOEFL Jr. Comprehensive (for students who are 11-15 years old): To register for TOEFL, visit their website at www.ets.org/toefl and register online. Our school code is 7529. We recommend a score on the comprehensive exam of:
250-275 language form & meaning
- SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test): Visit their website and register online or call SSAT at (609) 683-4440 to request a Student Registration Guide. The school code number for Sandy Spring Friends School is 7090.
STEP 4: Request a School Visit And Interview
All applicants are required to complete an interview.
- Applicants unable to visit the campus may conduct their interview via Skype. Submit the interview request form and Bill Mena or Tobi Goss will contact you to set up a date and time for your interview, or contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants from Mainland China should complete their interview with Vericant.
- SSFS is now a Duolinqo English Test partner . You can take the test from anywhere using a computer with a front end camera and microphone. No appointments are needed, and you get your results within 48 hours.
Additional Step: Applying For A Visa
International students attend Sandy Spring Friends School on an F-1 visa. An I-20 will be issued to a student once the student has been accepted by our admissions committee and has signed the enrollment agreement.
Enrollment includes a signed contract and a deposit of 9% of tuition. International students will need to provide this I-20, all acceptance paperwork, and financial evidence that your family can pay the required tuition and fees when interviewing for your visa. The U.S. State Department provides more information about preparing for a visa interview.
We encourage you to contact the U.S. consulate to schedule a visa interview as soon as you are accepted and to make sure you have all necessary information.
Additional Step: Housing
Sandy Spring Friends School has two boarding options - dormitory or homestay.
While considering the boarding preference applicants indicated during the admission process, the school will place students based on their developmental needs and space availability.
We inform families of their placement in May. Download our Housing Guide for more information about living on campus.
Director of Boarding and International Admissions, Grades 6-12
Director of Financial Aid & Enrollment Development
Admission Database Coordinator