In a rapidly-changing technological world, our teachers not only integrate technology into our project-based learning activities, we also foster a learning mindset that prepares our students for the future..
At Sandy Spring Friends School, technology is integrated by teachers in project-based learning assignments across the curriculum for each grade level. Laptops, Chromebooks, and iPads are used extensively as tools for exploration, collaboration, and as a demonstration of our students’ learning. Students use teacher-selected apps and online resources as learning tools to help them acquire important, developmentally-appropriate learning skills in exciting new ways. Across all three divisions, students utilize technology to create dynamic presentations in their classes by creating videos, presentations, podcasts, and more. Additionally, our faculty offer hands-on learning opportunities for students including coding, game design, robotics, and computer science.
Our students participate in a 1:1 program beginning in the Middle School, allowing students to have a personal device to use during classes and to complete school work. In 6th to 8th grade, students utilize iPads and Chromebooks. Starting in Fall 2020, all 6th grade students will be using Chromebooks, as we transition to all-Chromebook usage in the Middle School going forward. Our Upper School has a Bring Your Own Device program, also known as "BYOD." All students in the Upper School must have a device available on a daily basis for school work.
In addition to our 1:1 program, Sandy Spring Friends School also maintains the following resources:
- Campus-wide wifi network for mobile devices
- Two computer labs
- Chromebook devices available for checkout in Yarnall Library
- Video production lab
- Photo editing lab
- STEM lab
- LCD projection or other whole-class displays in each classroom
- Fully-equipped theater production facility
- Printing facilities in each classroom building
- School-provided email address for grades 4-12
- LMS (Learning Management System) for all students
- SIS (Student Information System) for all students and their parents/guardians