In celebration of passion and promise in language study, the Global Languages Department is proud to celebrate 15 outstanding SSFS language learners whose AP French Language & Culture and AP Spanish Language & Culture exam results qualify them for Global Seal of Biliteracy certification.
Academics at Sandy Spring Friends School
Sandy Spring Friends School is an exceptional school seeking to prepare students for life and further education.
At Sandy Spring Friends School, knowing why we learn, and how we learn, are just as important as what we learn. Our educational program is grounded in a deep respect for individual students and intellectual rigor. The School's teachers help students internalize a process we call "QRA"—Question, Reflection, Action—which ensures that they think critically, integrate new knowledge, and apply what they learn. We help students develop their individual sense of purpose as they become caring citizens of the world.
QRA—our student-centered approach—encourages students to question concepts and ideas, reflect upon inquiry and experience, and put learning into action.
Spotlight on Our Students
Read more about our students' accomplishments & our new partnership with the National Hispanic Institute & The NAIOP-Drexel Summer Real Estate Program.
The SSFS Kindergarten class embarked on a study of "ramps and pathways," which introduced engineering and design concepts to one of the most popular play spaces in the classroom— the block area!
Each year, our Algebra I students put their math and engineering skills to the test to create an exclusive bungee jumping company that has one VIP client—a Barbie.
Seven Characteristics of a SSFS Progressive Education
- Close, cooperative relationships between teachers and students are the firmest foundation for effective learning.
- A Sandy Spring Friends education is rigorous.
- Students learn best when they are acknowledged and included in the classroom.
- Sandy Spring Friends students interact with the natural world as a part of their learning environment.
- SSFS seeks to provide students a global perspective.
- Classroom learning must be authenticated by real-world experience.
- The School’s motto, “Let Your Lives Speak,” represents the Quaker belief that how we live our lives is the most direct indicator of what we believe.