Middle School Aftercare
Here at Sandy Spring Friends School, we’re committed to fostering a sense of belonging for all students, and that doesn’t end with the conclusion of the school day. If your Middle School child needs aftercare, we’ve got you covered—until 6:30 PM—with an optional, on-campus service run by SSFS staff who seamlessly extend the School’s culture and provide a reliable, convenient space for students to complete homework, unwind outdoors, and enjoy each other’s company.
Typical Middle School Aftercare Schedule
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
- 3:45 - 4:10 PM: Check in to Aftercare (everyone inside)
- 4:10 - 4:50 PM: Snack and outside/play time (everyone outside, weather permitting)
- 4:50 - 5:20 PM: Quiet time/homework/reading
- 5:20 - 6:30 PM: Choice time: outside/inside games, reading, flexible play time
Wednesday (Wednesdays are early dismissal days for faculty/staff professional development)
- 1:20 - 1:45 PM: Check into Aftercare (everyone inside)
- 1:45 - 2:30 PM: Outside/play time (everyone outside, weather permitting)
- 2:30 - 3:00 PM: - Choice time: outside/inside games, reading, flexible play time
- 3:00 - 3:30 PM: Quiet time/homework/reading
- 3:30 - 3:45 PM: Snack time (everyone indoors)
- 3:30- 6:30 PM: Choice time: outside/inside games, reading, flexible play time; occasional on-campus special activities, e.g., baking, movies
Did you know?
Families who don't need regular after-school care may use the program on a drop-in basis whenever needed. There is no online registration for drop-in care. The family should simply contact the Aftercare Staff about the drop-in usage, and a drop-in fee will be assessed to your account at that time. Notifying the Middle School Office is also helpful in these circumstances so we can ensure a smooth transition to Aftercare upon dismissal.
For families that have children in both the Middle School and the Upper School at SSFS, Bridgecare is available at no charge to allow for a single 5:30 PM pick-up time when the Upper School student’s dismissal time is later due to participation in a school sport. Families must register for Bridgecare in the Parent Portal for any season in which it is needed.
Middle School Aftercare Fees
Middle School Aftercare fees depend on use and may be prorated for sport seasons and individual days of the week. Drop-in rates for aftercare are also available if needed. Financial aid is available for Aftercare—up to 50% of the cost. Learn more about need-based financial aid at SSFS.
Registration is available through the Parent Portal.
We're here for your questions!
Please contact the Aftercare Office during Aftercare Hours (3:45 PM-6:30 PM) during the school year at (301) 774-7455 ext. 230.
Middle School Aftercare
For questions during the summer, please contact:
Middle School Administrative Assistant