LS Summer & Back to School Info
We look forward to having your child join us! Below please find some general information about health forms, academic resources, upcoming dates, technology information, and more as you prepare for the upcoming school year. Please bookmark this page, as posted information will be updated throughout the spring and into the summer. If you have questions about specific programs in the Lower School, please contact one of the staff below.
Lower School Office:
Pam Gilmer, Lower School Administrative Assistant
301-774-7455 ext. 112
Tim Croft, Assistant Head of Lower School and Counselor
301-774-7455 ext. 118
Beverley DiTusa, LS Learning Specialist
301-774-7455 ext. 176
Courtney Benson, LS Learning and Literacy Specialist
301-774-7455 ext. 311
- Welcome and Orientation Events
- Academic Year + Summer Camp Option (PK3-3rd Grade)
- Aftercare and Bus Services
- Required Health and Permission Forms
- iPad, Technology, and Website Information
- Class Placement
- Summer Reading and Academic Resources
- For More Information/Questions
- Back to School Mailing
Sandy Spring Friends School wants to make the transition from the school year to summer seamless and easy by providing our families with Preschool (Age 3) through 3rd grade students an option of adding 8 weeks of summer camp to your academic year contract.* The cost of this additional 8-week program is $2000, a 25% overall discount for summer camp!
Highlights of this new program include:
- 8 weeks of fun and friendship at our well-established Summer at Sandy Spring camp program on the SSFS campus (see the camp website for more information about our Friends Camps, a typical day at camp, and more)
- Camp dates run June 18 through August 10
- Camp hours are 9 am – 4 pm
- A hot lunch and snacks are included each day
- Extended day programs, bus service, and academic enrichment camp options are also available for an additional fee
By selecting the "Academic Year Plus Summer Camp" contract option, your child is automatically registered for the 8 weeks of camp, so no need to individually register them on the website for Summer at Sandy Spring!
Interested? See information about how to sign up, and other frequently-asked questions here. If you have additional questions, please contact Liza Long, Assistant Director of Lower School Admissions, at (301) 774-7455, ext. 106 or via email at email@example.com.
* Note: Summer at Sandy Spring camp provides programs for students ages 3 years and up. Your child must be 3 years old by the start of camp (week of June 18, 2018) to participate in the academic year + summer camp contract option. Should they turn 3 years old after the start of camp, regular camp registration for the summer is available here.
Information about bus routes can be found online here. Families can enroll in Bus Transportation and Before Care services via MyBackPack > Program Registration. So that we can ensure our bus routes will serve our student population, please enroll for bus services by June 1, 2018.
For aftercare, please register through the Kids After Hours website (details below). For before care, please register via your MyBackPack account. For questions about Lower School extended care, please contact Pam Gilmer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-774-7455 x112. For bus/transportation questions, please contact Cathryn Carnevale at email@example.com or 301-774-7455 x177.
(SSFS faculty and staff: please note that LS Aftercare sign-up and payment procedures are different for you; the information below is for non-SSFS employees only.)
Below are instructions for how to register for aftercare services via Kids After Hours. Please note that before school care registration is available via MyBackpack.
- Go to www.kidsafterhours.com
- Click on School Year > Before and After Care
- Click on Locations (at bottom of page)
- Click on Sandy Spring Friends School
- Click on Register Now
Bob Sickels (240-687-6201) is the owner of the Kids After Hours program and is available to answer KAH specific questions. You can reach the KAH Main Office at 301-933-6888. Pam Gilmer, in the Lower School, is the SSFS point person for the KAH program and she can be reached at 301-774-7455 x112.
After enrolling, each family gets a dedicated MyBackPack account with a unique username and password. If you have submitted your enrollment contract and have not yet received login information for (or need assistance accessing) your MyBackPack account, please contact the Technology department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-774-7455 x111. (Click here for a document with details on how to log in to the website.) Your MyBackPack account will give you access to a number of services including:
- Billing and student accounts
- Student class schedules and grades/comments
- School directory
- Family contact information
- Enrollment contracts
Please ensure that your contact information in your MyBackPack account is accurate. As a part of our continuing efforts to act in environmentally sustainable ways, SSFS rarely sends information by paper mail. All communications about events, grades, billing account status, re-enrollment, and other information are sent electronically through My BackPack using the email addresses you have provided. An emergency notification service is also available via text message, so please also provide a cell phone number where you may reached.
- Grades PK3 - 5: SSFS provides all the needed school technology like iPads and Chromebooks. All apps and other technology is provided by the School.
Website login information for families is emailed in mid-July, when we roll the student class lists over to the 2018-19 academic year. The website login gives families single-sign-on access to MyBackPack and online classrooms from the website, but you do not need a website login to access your MyBackPack account; you can simply login directly to MyBackPack.
Class placements are mailed out to all Lower School families in early August. Families also receive a note from your child's new teacher and other back-to-school information prior to the first week of school. Please contact Pam Gilmer if you have questions.
Lower School Administrative Assistant Pam Gilmer is available to field questions or direct you to the appropriate contact. Pam's email is email@example.com and her phone number is 301-774-7455 x112.