Learning Support at SSFS
The Learning Resource Collaborative (LRC) is a partnership of learning specialists at Sandy Spring Friends School committed to the competency, success, and joy of all learners in the SSFS community.
SSFS recognizes that some students, even highly capable learners, may need additional academic supports, such as organizational assistance or learning/processing accommodations, to further develop their existing abilities. Through these supports, students achieve not only academic success but also develop self-awareness, self-advocacy, and independence. The Learning Resource Collaborative at SSFS is designed to help provide and monitor these supports.
Flex Program at SSFS
The Flex Program for provides direct support for students in Grades 9-12 that adapts to the age and needs of the student. This supplemental Upper School program is intended to complement the academic support provided by teachers and advisors.
Academic Support Services
Our Learning Specialists provide the following core services to SSFS students and their families:
- Consultation with parents, students, teachers, and outside professionals about learning needs
- Assistance with the identification of learning differences
- Collaborative development of strategies with students to build metacognition and identify what works most effectively for their unique learning profile
- Referrals to outside resources (tutors, speech and language therapists, educational testing services, etc.) as needed
- Support for teachers implementing recommendations and accommodations
- Ongoing faculty/student workshops and training on how students learn and study
In addition, SSFS provides the following student supports and services (which may vary by division):
- Small class sizes
- Academic Help & Tutorial times built into the daily academic schedule
- Advisory groups
- Licensed counselors in each division
- Learning specialists in each division, who make regular evening visits to the dorm
- In-class accommodations
- Support for standardized testing accommodations
- Multifaceted, individualized college counseling support