MS Summer & Back to School Info
We look forward to having your child join us for the 2017-18 academic year! Below please find some general information about health forms, academic resources, upcoming dates, technology information, and more as you prepare for the upcoming school year. If you have questions about specific programs in the Middle School, please contact one of the staff below:
- Welcome and Orientation Events
- Aftercare & Bus Services
- Required Health & Permission Forms
- iPad, Technology, and Website Information
- Class Placement & Course Scheduling
- Summer Reading & Academic Resources
- For More Information/Questions
- 2017-2018 MS Student Supply List
- Photo Forms
- Back to School Mailing
Please mark your calendars for the following activities and events:
- Monday, August 28, 12:30-3:00 pm: Orientation for all incoming 6th graders, and all new incoming 7th and 8th grade students and families. Families will gather in the Middle School at 12:30. There will also be a PA Welcome Brunch from 10:00 am - 12:30 pm just outside the Performing Arts Center.
- Tuesday, August 29: First Day of School; MS Fall Sports Begin; MS Aftercare Begins
- Wednesday, August 30: Don't forget that Wednesdays are early dismissal days! Dismissal is at 2:35 pm.
- Thursday, September 7: School Photo Day (photo forms will be mailed in our back-to-school packet in August and available online)
- Thursday, September 7: Middle School Back-to-School Night, 6:30 pm (for parents/guardians only)
- Wednesday, September 13: Parent-Advisor Conferences, 2:45-5:30 pm
Please visit the calendar web page for more detailed event information, or view a calendar card listing all dates that SSFS will not be in session for 2017-18 here.
Families can enroll in Middle School After Care and Bus Transportation services via MyBackPack > Program Registration. In order to facilitate bus route planning, please sign up for the bus by June 1, 2017. Information about bus routes can be found online here. For bus/transportation questions, please contact Cathryn Carnevale at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-774-7455 x177.
Most of the health and permission forms that you will need to fill out for your child are submitted using Magnus Health. See information about how to sign-in to your Magnus Health account and upload your health forms for 2017-2018.
After enrolling, each family gets a dedicated MyBackpack account with a unique username and password. If you have submitting your enrollment contract and not yet received login information for (or need assistance accessing) your MyBackpack account, please contact the Technology department at email@example.com or 301-774-7455 x111. Your MyBackpack account will give you access to a number of services including:
- Billing and student accounts
- Student class schedules and grades/comments
- School directory
- Family contact information
- Enrollment contracts
Please ensure that your contact information in your MyBackpack account is accurate. As a part of our continuing efforts to act in environmentally sustainable ways, SSFS rarely sends information by paper mail. All communications about events, grades, billing account status, re-enrollment, and other information are sent electronically through My Backpack using the email addresses you have provided. An emergency notification service is also available via text message, so please also provide a cell phone number where you may reached.
Grades 6 - 8: Middle school students have family-owned iPads for daily school use. New students to the Middle School are expected to purchase an iPad for school use (see iPad system requirements). You can find out more about purchasing and repair options here.
Website login information for families will be emailed in mid-July, when we roll the student class lists over to the 2017-18 academic year. The website login gives families single sign-on access to MyBackPack and online classrooms from the website, but you do not need a website login to access your MyBackPack account; you can simply login directly to MyBackPack.
Information about schedules and book ordering will be available on or around July 17th.
The 2017-2018 Middle Course Curriculum will be available soon. Please take a look at the 2016-2017 Middle School Curriculum Guide to get a sense of the courses we offer.
Middle School Administrative Assistant Erin Ryan will be available after August 18 to field questions or direct you to the appropriate contact. Erin's email is firstname.lastname@example.org and her phone number is 301-774-7455 x160. Before August 18, you can email Meredith Shankle at email@example.com or ext. 160.
All domestic SSFS families were mailed a back-to-school folder with information and resources. Electronic versions of this information are also available below.
- Head of School Welcome Letter
- Parent Association Welcome Letter
- 2017-18 Contact Information
- 2017-18 Calendar Card (holidays, professional days, and school closures)
- Parent Association Event Calendar
- Communications at SSFS
- "How Do I..." - Parent FAQs
- Photo Form for Students in Grades 6-11
- Admissions at SSFS - Parent Volunteers
- Advancement at SSFS - What is it?
- Laps for Lexi Flyer
- Golf and Spa Getaway Flyer